What is digital twin?
To understand the digital twin technology, first, we need to understand the term digital twins.
By digital twins, we mean the virtual replicas of any physical body or devices that can be used by the scientists, the researchers, and the IT pros to study and to run simulations before the actual device is actually built or deployed into work. The digital twins are also used to test the feasibility of newly invented technologies.
Or in other words,
The digital twin primarily refers to the virtual representations or images of the things/ products, services or processes generally 3-D model.
Who coined the term digital twin?
The term, Digital Twin was first defined by Dr. Michael Grieves in 2003 at the University of Michigan.
How it digital twin technology works?
Before this technology was actually introduced, the manufacturers used to manufacture a duplicate model of a new product (example. bike, car, etc) using computer-aided design tools that are followed by converting them into an actual physical object.
Before the introduction of this concept, manufacturing companies used to create a virtual model of a new product. After, manufacturing of the actual device, the virtual replica of the model is usually discarded or archived because it has no active users in the future.
After the digital twin concept came in the existence, the virtual replica of the device is not discarded rather it is usually connected with the original product by digital twin concept through a cloud-based system. The physical product made for the user doesn’t consist of the same materials as used in the earlier models but it consists of smart sensors assembled powered with intelligent sensors.
The sensors connected to the physical object records real-time data about working conditions, status, real-time data or position being integrated with a physical item, etc and the information collected will directly send back to the digital twin of that product. The interaction of twin products results in the optimization of the actual product.
The sensors attached to the original device can dete3cxt when the car’s engine oil needs to be changed. The car’s digital twin will indicate the present status of the car through the overlay image indicating the new information. The new information about the status of the car is redirected to the owner’s personnel Smartphone or the manufacturers’ PLM system.
Important and Applications of Digital twin concept
Importance of the digital twin technology
- This digital twin system can be used to implement the analytics for investigating anomalies; early alerts of glitches, predictions like when to change engine filter, etc and optimization.
- The digital twin technology improves the performance of the company by identifying the user needs, enhancing the applicability of the existing products, services, operations and it can also aid in the development of the new innovation in the countries.
Digital twin technology is the trendiest thing that is going to take over all the business sectors and industries in the coming days. It is said that soon it is going to haul in the market as no technology has ever been successful in doing so further.
- Automobile sector is the biggest area where the digital twin technology can be applied in the making of virtual models of a connected model.
- Through the digital twin technology, the behavioral and operational data of the vehicle is used in analyzing the complete performance and connected performance of the vehicle.
- The manufacturing industries are very prone areas where the digital twin technology can be applied very efficiently. This technology has the grasp by which the goods are manufactured, maintained and processed. The digital twin technology implications in the manufacturing can really save time in the manufacturing of the products.
- In the retail sector, digital twin technology can be applied to find smarter ways to deal and sort the loss of the industries.
- When the trend of new smart cities is gaining the potential in the country, new smart cities are being made in the country and the use of digital twin technology can add real stars in the execution of the smart ideas.
- Digital twin technology also has a big implication in the area of the healthcare and welfare of the common people. Digital twin technology along with the data with IoT can play a significant role in giving better facilities to the patients in a cost-effective manner.